ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Wood duck box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The Workshop
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:56 AM    Post subject: Wood duck box Reply with quote

A buddy of mine salvaged a wood duck box that got ripped off its tree in last years floods and gave it to me. There are two irrigation ditches behind my house that woodies use every spring and I wanna get this thing repaired and up ASAP. I've made and put up wooden ones, but never used one of these fancy plastic types.

My question is are the "u-bolts" just for securing the thing or do they need to stick out so the little woodies can use them to get up and out? The u-bolt holes are the most close-set holes at the top and bottom.

With straight bolts and nails I can't see the ubolts being needed for securing this sucker to the tree, so I'm guessing they're to act as perches.

Anybody know?

Ajax5240
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a wild guess, but I would think they are there to allow attachment to a pole. Seems like they were trying to design it for any situation.

CAPTAIN - Team Wishful Drinker
    Vintage Bayliner Pro-Staff/Field Staff
    Avery Field Corn Pro-Staff - "It's like real corn, but a lot more plastic."
    sbarcewski
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an article/post on the DU website about making wood duck boxes. It might shed some light on things.
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajax nailed it...made for multiple mounting situations.
    richroux
    Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the plastic on the inside under the hole is not good and rough for the babies to be able grab with their toenails to climb up, I'd attach a 4" wide strip of hardware cloth (1/4" squares to 1/2" all seem to be fine) from the bottom of the door to the level of the shavings (3-5" on bottom).

I've never seen a plastic box up close, but would be sure the outside under the door hole is rough enough that a hen can dig her toenails in to hang on while she listens and inspects before committing to sticking her head in a hole of unknown safety, by landing in the door, as they do once using it. If it's not, I'd extend that hardware cloth down the outside under the door for the hen to grip.

I've gone to building all metal wood duck nest boxes from 12" furnace duct pipe and with hardware cloth below hole on outside, they get heavily used. Decided to do that after watching wild woodies investigating natural holes in trees while turkey hunting and reading that metal nests didn't get used. Can't guarantee that is why, but mine get used as well or better than the remaining wooden ones.

Have fun. Hope it gets used this season so you can spy on the hen and maybe even get to see the little ones hatching. cheers
    Rich
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Richroux,
    Thanks a ton for sharing your experience. I've got a bunch of 1/4" hardware cloth so will incorporate that. Great tip!

I'm real anxious to see what happens. I can see the mount tree from my kitchen window and will be watching it closely. If we get a hen using it, we're also anxious to put our Moultrie on it. Can't wait to see mom coming and going and would die for some great shots/vids of the lil uns making that first splash down! Will definitely post them if we can get any.
    cheers
    TimberlineArcher
    I'm a better catcher "Babe"!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:27 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDK, listen to Rich. He helped me out tremendously a few years ago when i was planning on building several wood duck boxes...

unfortunately... i never got around to it because life happened and I got bumped around where I was living and I am now in a way different part of the state where I am pretty sure no wood ducks nest...

He is a wealth of knowledge! cheers
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stale post, but to follow up, no nesters. Water didn't get put through the ditch until after nesting began. The woodies were back and sqeeping and using the ditch, which was fun to see, but we missed the nesting period. Appreciated the feedback though. cheers cheers
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: