ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Grand Junction SWA Blinds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Western Slope Hunters
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    honkytonk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:49 PM    Post subject: Grand Junction SWA Blinds Reply with quote

Hey ya'll. Another new waterfowler to the valley. I reserved some blinds for this weekend. Haven't seen much traffic on the river yet. Hopefully the weather will bring em in. Anyone use the reservation system? The Horsethief blind are has some nice habbitat enhancements. I am a bit worriedabout retrieving from the river; the flow is still up for this time of year.
    honkytonk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:45 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for all you lurkers. The river is slow. I am guessing overall things are slow. Most of the blinds I have hunted would be perfect when the still water starts freezin up. Plenty of blinds on outside river bends with sun. And, yes retrieving without a dog is a problem @ 4200cfs. There are some blinds over fields and still water. I am going hit some of them up... wish I had decoys other than floaters. Planning to do some jump shooting via canoe also. The cold is coming this week, expecting things to heat up. Rabbits have been fantastic though.
    honkytonk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hunting has picked up!

More lessons learned

There are some great blinds over fields and wetland;
    these are a great option if you don't have a dog or boat.
    They will freeze up however.

If you hunt the river bank you have to have a dog or boat.
    The Colorado won't let you wade out. You can't just shoot em while there over land. You have to have a dog or boat!
    I am using a small lightweight inflatable (whitewater grade not wal-mat). I really want a dog.

The phone in reservation system works well. But, if you are not at your blind on time, others will move in. It feels crappy to kick them out (your reservation is good all day).

Having the map on your phone is nice, some blinds are not marked and people end up in the wrong one. If you're at Tilman Bishop and someone is in blind 1 "accidently", they just couldn't find blind 2 because it's not marked and there is no obvious path.

I bring extra camo (burlap), some blinds lack camoflage.

There are a few blinds that aren't placed where I would want them. I bring bind materials to make my on blind where I want it. This is allowed within a 100 yards of your assigned blind (check the regs for that paticular spot).

Long leads and heavy weights are the way to go for the decoys.

I really like these habitat areas. They are such a privalage to have so close to home.

I need a duck boat.
    honkytonk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lesson of today

Just becuase the check-in board says a blind is occupied doesn't mean it actually is. Apperently folks like to sign in to all the blinds that surround the blind they are hunting in and leave them vacant in an attempt to have the place to themselves. They are also skybusters and chase off all the ducks becuase they move around in their blind like they are dancing a tango.

I imagine thsee are the type to leave their empty shells and other assorted trash for others to clean up.

Sun up to sundown super skunk.... tough day.
    caseitman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:42 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been hunting the Horsethief blinds for the past couple weekends, if so any report on ducks/geese flying?
    honkytonk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:29 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hunt the horsethief blinds, there are geese moving now. Overall the river is up with the real winter weather.

More lessons learned.
    The only boat hunting you can do without violationing a law in Grand Junction is in Ruby/Horsethief. All the land through GJ, excepting the SWA on the Colorado is private. Therefore you cannot drop an anchor or touch the bank or river bottom.

Also The city of GJ has a ordinance against discharging a firearm. If you look at the city limits it overlaps the river quite a bit. I hear tale of a Mesa County ordinance also, but could not find it. Denver had a case where the courts said that even with preemptive law... right to rule places like GJ can make up gun laws like the ordainace against discharging a firearm.

Apperently the island above Walker SWA is THE spot, but it'seems it is private as are all the islands. Many tickets for trespassing are writing there.

If you are seeing hundreds of birds... you are hunting illegally. The hunting pressure in Grand Junction is evidenced by how the birds concentrate to areas of no hunting. The blinds are good, thank the bureaucats we have them. But, the are very pressured. If you like floating and seeing birds, float through Walker SWA in the winter. It is incredible to see them all, even if you cannot hunt them.

My decoy layouts and crude calling is working. The biggest issue I have now is concealment. The blinds do not come ready to hunt in. You have to bring camoflage.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Western Slope Hunters All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: