ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Dog Food ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Ask the Doctor...
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    huntitdown21
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:06 PM    Post subject: Dog Food ? Reply with quote

So I recently brought home a puppy. She has been great, and its amazing the difference between a AKC pup, and one that's not. I love my older dog but the puppy is smarter and learns stuff so much quicker.

The one thing I have found really odd, and not sure what gives is the dog food. I feed my older dog Blue Buffalo and she loves it. I have tried everything for the puppy, all top brands, ones with grain and ones without.. I have had to return a few bags of food, as she just flat out refuses to eat some. So I finally got some food from Wellness Large Breed puppy, but it gives her constant diarrhea. She would run around and play but would also nap a little more.

Well this weekend I ran out, and waited to long to go to the store, so I stopped by a Super Target and grabbed a small bag of Purina One puppy.
    Now the dog has more energy, plays more and harder. She seems to be feeling a ton better and her stool has solidified.

So my question is why would the cheaper brand be so much better for her than the other brands? Should I worry about the cheaper brands?

I have taken her to the vet twice, to make sure it wasn't parasites or giardia.
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:55 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, now you've done it! You are opening a ginormous can of worms! rotfl

A lot of folks put a lot of stock in this guy's website. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Dogs are pretty individual critters. One dog will do great on Blue Bullchit, the next, not so much.

I've known guys that feed Ol Roy and had their dogs go 15 years.
    I've known guys that feed high dollar raw yummy natural organic food whose dogs didn't make it to 5...

There's lot of marketing $$ tied up in pet food...

Doc will hopefully offer up some advice as well.

Don't trust whitey.
    tbvet3
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:22 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if the food costs $1 a ton or $1,000 an ounce, if the pooch won't eat it it's worthless!

Purina One is a good food and if the pup is thriving on it rock on! cheers

And please don't supplement the feed. In my years in practice I saw a lot of odd ball cancers associated with supplements in dog's food. Osteosarcoma of the skull, come on now. Now I'm not saying supplementing will lead to cancer or that not supplementing will prevent cancer. Just that I saw what I considered an abnormally high association between supplementing and cancer. And the only 2 dogs I've had in all my years that died of cancer my wife supplemented.

I noted when I looked up Purina One that it's been proven in feeding trails. Some dog foods are labeled by the AAFCO based on ingredients alone. A feeding trial label indicates the ration has been fed to real live dogs and they did fine. You can find the AAFCO label on any dog food package, usually on the back bottom corner written in upside down lower case Chinese braille.

Speaking of Chinese - Note to all - be very careful getting anything edible for the hounds that is made in China. Food, treats, chew toys, anything. There's been a lot of deaths of dogs associated with Chinese origin pet stuff over the past 5 or 6 years and the causative agent hasn't been identified. There were some deaths a couple 3 years ago attributable to the inclusion of "Melamine" which is toxic. It makes protein tests read higher than reality. You may remember it was the agent identified in the baby formula that poisoned a lot of babys there some years ago. Problem is the dog deaths still are happening here and melamine is not the culprit.

Enjoy the pup and treasure her when he gets old. There will never be another like her.
    DrakeStar
    Master Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaightlabs1 wrote:
    Oh man, now you've done it! You are opening a ginormous can of worms! rotfl

A lot of folks put a lot of stock in this guy's website. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Dogs are pretty individual critters. One dog will do great on Blue Bullchit, the next, not so much.

I've known guys that feed Ol Roy and had their dogs go 15 years.
    I've known guys that feed high dollar raw yummy natural organic food whose dogs didn't make it to 5...

There's lot of marketing $$ tied up in pet food...

Doc will hopefully offer up some advice as well.
    cheers

My first chocolate ate tons of Old Roy and lived to the ripe old age of 15 !
    DogDoc
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your pup I back to normal and doing well. I am not a proponent of any brand of food. If I believe that the dog is having a food issue such as chronic diarrhea, poor weight gain, weight loss, vomiting, etc then I will recommend a diet to try. If the dog is doing well and has no signs of a nutritional deficiency then I suggest staying with the current diet. Glad to hear you rule parasites, Giardia, etc. That's a big help to getting a dog back to good digestion.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Ask the Doctor... All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: