ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Ice Eater fuel issue...looking for ideas
    Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The Workshop
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luv2Decoy wrote:
    I am not being a smart ass but did you have the cap vent open?

I have forgotten to do it more than once.

Okay...here's where I might get filleted. I ain't skeered, though! Just need to figure this out.
    Not sure if you're saying you forgot to open it or forgot to close it. The 6 gal tank that worked stellar everytime was not vented. It was sealed, kept the vacuum pressure, the tank puffed up as it emptied as it should with a proper seal, etc. The new 12 gal tank does have a vent. I kept it closed tight, except to relieve pressure before opening when I refueled. I'm hoping you were saying you forgot to close the vent, which wouldn't allow the vacuum feed to get the proper pressure. Or is this where I get filleted? A little venting would prevent vapor lock? I'm guessing (and hoping) the former.

And thanks again for all the feedback. The next major issue is explaining to my neighbors why my genny is running non-stop while I troubleshoot this during the offseason!
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta vent the aux tank. There needs to be some way to get air into the tank to replace the space lost from fuel consumption, otherwise your gravity fed carb is trying to pull a vacuum and will die after a few hours. A bigger volume gas tank will give you more run time before you vacuum lock, but it will happen sooner or later.

Since the season is over, test it for yourself. Just set up a gravity feed from the aux tank into a spare gas tank and see how long it takes to slow to a dribble. Then open the vent and you should hear a lot of air sucking in and see the stream pick up.

It is the same physics as pouring an unvented spare gas can into a tank. At some point you'll have enough vacuum where the air has to come back into the spare can via the fill neck or no more gas will flow out.
    Blue.Ghost
    Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:23 PM    Post subject: Re: similiar issue Reply with quote

JDK wrote:
    Blue.Ghost wrote:
    We finally switch out the tank with a new one (this setup had been used for a few years prior with no issues) and it has worked fine since.

So...the tank that went south on you just aged and something lost functionality? The 12 gal I've been trying was brand spanking new from a reputable marine supplier.

No idea on why the old tank quit working although we suspect that it started to suck air and therefore lost the ability to suck the gas from the tank. Not sure if the tube running to the bottom of the tank cracked or what. The 1 gallon tank on the generator would empty though.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT
    Goto page Previous  1, 2
    Page 2 of 2

Jump to: