ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    SE Sportsmans Roundtable Meeting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Big Game
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    foulshot
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:19 PM    Post subject: SE Sportsmans Roundtable Meeting Reply with quote

Sportsmen’s Roundtable called to discuss CPW financial sustainability moving forward

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Colorado Parks and Wildlife wants to hear from hunters, anglers and anyone else who wants to comment on wildlife issues at a Sportsmen’s Roundtable for the Southeast Region, scheduled at 6 p.m. on Thursday, July 13.

The roundtable will convene in the Hunter Education classroom at CPW’s Southeast Region office, 4255 Sinton Road, Colorado Springs. It is expected to end by 8:30 p.m.

A main topic of discussion will be the recent CPW financial sustainability bill, which was debated by lawmakers in the Colorado General Assembly.

“We want to hear from sportsmen about how we should move forward,” said Dan Prenzlow, manager of CPW’s Southeast Region. “We will talk about why it failed and the potential direction for any upcoming legislation.”

Prenzlow encouraged everyone to attend, saying the roundtables are a great opportunity for direct communication with CPW about issues affecting anglers and sportsmen of the region including CPW policies, regulations and resource management. And the meetings give the agency a chance to fully discuss and explain its decisions with the public.

The financial sustainability bill passed the Colorado House but died in a Senate committee. It was the focus of intense debate as CPW sought to avoid anticipated budget shortfalls by increasing resident license fees. Since 2009, CPW has cut or defunded 50 positions, and cut $40 million from its operating budget. Wildlife managers caution that additional cuts are inevitable without an increase in revenue.

“Colorado's natural resources and wildlife are under increasing pressure from a growing human population," Prenzlow said. “This agency has done it’s best to manage resources on an already shoestring budget, but now we need to find effective ways to increase revenue. This is an important discussion we must have with our sportsmen and women."

CPW’s wildlife management programs are funded by user fees, generated primarily by the sale of hunting and fishing licenses. Unlike other state agencies, CPW receives little general fund revenue.

In addition to the financial sustainability bill discussion, Dave Roudebush, the Southeast Region’s representative on the state Sportsmen’s Roundtable, said he hoped to get an update on the hunting forecast particularly in the northwest region.

Who: CPW Southeast Region Sportsmen's Roundtable
    What: Regular meeting
    When: 6 p.m., Thursday, July 13
    Where: CPW Hunter Education Classroom, 4255 Sinton Road.
    Info: Call 719-227-5200 for additional information or visit http://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/Roundtable.aspx

Die hard Chargers fan!

Clinger of guns and my Bible.
    GANDER
    A.K.A Babe Winkleworm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty simple resolution to DOW financial whoaw is me's... kick Parks off the tit! Just because they don't have any money doesn't mean it is up to sportmen to pay for the portapotties.
    Wade C
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

GANDER wrote:
    Pretty simple resolution to DOW financial whoaw is me's... kick Parks off the tit! Just because they don't have any money doesn't mean it is up to sportmen to pay for the portapotties.

Pretty sure its the other way around... They both had some money issues, but it seems Parks got things together prior to the merger and DOW was something like 30M short.

In addition, despite being merged together, the money still stays separated internally. Parks does not get money from licenses. Parks doesnt even make the tiny little profit that other license outlets (like walmart, stores, etc) get when they sell licenses. So every time youre fishing at a state park, your license money goes to wildlife, and your parks pass goes to parks. So sportsmen are not paying for porta potties at parks, or the water, or the trails, or the camp grounds.

I would imagine there are tons of inefficiencies in both sides, but I often find myself thinking "WTF? That is a waste of money" when ever I deal with the wildlife side.

- Website redesign, and I have yet to run into anyone that doesnt think its worse than it was, and no one I have talked to has ever said it was easy to find what they were looking for - especially if using the search function

- So in this modern day and age... we still print checks for license application refunds when the original transaction was done online with a credit card? Postage, large envelope, three pages of paper and the toner to print that - Im sure will cost more than transaction fee by whomever the CC processor they use, is. Now in the coming years, it will be online application only... that actually make sense to me, but will they refund by check, one for each app?

- It is apparently also wise to mail a check for every license you applied for and didnt get? If you applied for Deer, Elk, Antelope, Moose, Goat, Sheep, Bear, and Lion, and were unsuccessful... you would get 8 different checks... Is it so hard to add that together, print all the info on one set of 3 pages, and put it on one check? Sounds like a money saver... especially since they outsource it anyway.

- How about the extra work, when one is applying for a preference point only... Why not charge 3 bucks and be done, no refund check, no nothing. Im sure they dont make enough in interest over the 2-3 months of having the license money to make up for the cost of refunding.

- Why not base DOW offices out of Parks locations where space/facilities exist? Sell the the unused buildings, take that money to help consolidate other DOW offices to other parks that have space but not the facilities. I would imagine in the process, one might be able to lessen the cost to staff the offices since you would have less offices that require having a person there in case someone comes in.

- Since things arent truly merged, since the money is still separated, I would suspect that means there is some if not a lot of redundancy in the workforce and leadership that doesnt need to be there.

Im sure both sides have things that could be done better... c'mon, its a state agency, its probably mandatory... By no means am I saying one is perfect and the other is not...

My understanding is license sales are down and that is a big deal for the wildlife side... and I would expect that trend to continue if they keep raising the prices. Maybe the inverse would be true if prices came down? Or they dropped some of the nickle and dime sportsmen, and started applying it to everyone? (habitat stamp)

Im sure what ever the answers are, they wont be easy, and they wont be liked by everyone... and likely in some cases, they wont be liked by anyone.

Cheers all!
    Wade
    sbarcewski
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:08 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehhh...I tend to agree with Gander. Kick them off the teet.
    foulshot
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:40 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I've heard and read is they are 2 different buckets.

Big game is looking to be the cash cow to take the burden off the fisheries side.

Die hard Chargers fan!

Clinger of guns and my Bible.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Big Game All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: