ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Dog in a pit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Goose Hunting
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Hunticted

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 PM    Post subject: Dog in a pit Reply with quote

I have had the same lease for 8 years now and every year we put in the same 5 man pit. This is the first year that I will have my dog trained and I am wondering what y'all do with them in the pit. She is pretty dang good at staying put in the mut hut however I am afraid of her breaking in front of the lids and in someones shooting lane if I leave her on top of the pit. If I put her down in the pit with me she wont be able to see and her blind retrieve is less than good. Looking for ideas on what others have done. Thanks
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

If she can see the bird drop is it still a blind retrieve?

I always run my dog in the pit. They learn to watch where you shoot and go that direction when they get out of the pit. It also keeps the situation a bit better controlled if you have a chance at a second volley.

There is always the chance that the dog will want to get out, in which case make sure you hunt with guys that will stop shooting if it becomes unsafe. Seen many a dog get out a pit lid and the only one that knows it is the guy that got slammed into the wall while the dog used him as a ladder to get out.

One other risk of having a dog in the pit is they are very stealthy roaming around down there so be prepared for a gun or 2 getting knocked over if they wonder around.
    scrapwood
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what bldmtnrider said. The only thing I would add is to suggest you focus on handling and introducing the dog to hunting out of a pit for the first few hunts. Leave your gun in the case and just handle the dog. A good introduction now will pay dividends in the long run.
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also put her on a 2 to 3 foot leash next to you in the pit tied to the framework until she gets used to it. This will keep her from breaking or getting in front of others in the pit.
    Ice Boy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:39 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points were made above. Safety is first and foremost. There is no time like the present to work on steadiness. If you don't have a pit to practice in right now, I would recommend finding a ditch where you can run drills. Teach your pup where his/her place is and they are to stay in that place while a dummy is launched and a shot is fired until a release command is given. This will help keep paws and tails out of trigger guards, and allow the shooting to stop before the pup is sent down range of the firing line for retrieves.
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:38 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current Dog is so lazy that he sometimes even wakes up after 4 people empty their Guns and when we finish setting up the decoys and go park the truck and trailer he looks all around both to see if their is a Gaiter to give him a ride back to the pit.
    You just never know how it will unfold until you ya just do it with them. What I will say is:
    That I have lost several hunting friends because their Dogs were just out of control in the pit and they would not correct the situation.
    Best of luck to you and your best friend this season.
    cheers
    Hunticted

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all the help. Hopefully get the lids in next weekend and start her on some training.
    Wade C
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:01 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put in a 1/2 hole and a lid for the dog on your end so they have their own lid/hole? Then they can see, tucked on an end, mostly under ground with you, within reach of you, with a hole cover you have a bit of a natural barrier to breaking, and ability to close a lid door and latch it if needed.

Nothing will be better than teaching the dog what to do and what is expected - and that wont happen quickly if youre hunting too... but giving them their own place may help a lot of things on top of some training in and from the pit before things get crazy.

Wade
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Goose Hunting All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: