ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Dog in the pit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Goose Hunting
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    Luv2Decoy
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:56 PM    Post subject: Dog in the pit Reply with quote

I have a question for those of you that have your pup in the pit.

How do you get them in there??? Pete and I had a discussion this past weekend about him going into the pit. I ended up with a broke rib, and it only hurts when I breathe, turn my body or attempt to stand, other than that it never hurts.

Last season he was just 2-3 months old and would willingly enter the pit, now he believes I am going to leave him in there and bury him. So in order to avoid future confrontations I thought that I would ask the experts.

As you can see he is not a big dog but even 55 lbs is not fun to wrestle. rotfl
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always found that after the first few times when they figure out that if they are in the pit they get to go get geese once the guns go off (well, most of the time anyway...) it's hard to keep them out of the pit. I don't let my dogs jump in - tough on the font suspension...so I put one hand inside the collar and the other under the ass end and lower them in. Eccentric contraction builds muscle!

I've seen a pit with 3 wooden steps on one end which makes it super easy in/out.

Don't trust whitey.
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a ladder built out of 2 4's with plywood on back of the ladder.
    It is funny how he cannot jump into the back seat of the truck but he can climb that ladder and out of the pit in a half second.
    Hunticted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this question a few months back myself as this was the first year my pup was old enough to retrieve. I ended up putting her kennel in the last pit spot on the end. She is able to sit up on the kennel and stay hidden as well as out of the way. After we shoot and the birds fall I simply open her lid and she jumps out looking for birds. The jump in and out is less than that of a tailgate hop so she picked up on it very quickly. The other nice part of the kennel is that when the flight slows down she feels more than happy to go inside and take a snooze. Downfall is the dog takes a shooters spot away but for us we have a 5 guy pit and generally only 4 guys hunt on the weekends so fits us great. I would post pictures but I am technologically challenged and cheap so not buying a Photobucket account.
    sbarcewski
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:53 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much like Spaight I lower Ruger into the pit. He makes the leap out easily and only occasionally do I need to give him a slight boost to get over the edge on his way out.
    Luv2Decoy
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:56 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I will continue to fight the battle getting him in there.
    bangin bangin bangin
    sbarcewski
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipped reading the part you were having trouble getting him in there. Worked with DogDoc and his new pup when we were trimming out pits this year and his Yellow was a little shy of the pit. Without the lids on we got her in several times and helped her out. One of us would stay and the other leave then once she was in and out of the open pit we put 1 lid on. Same routine then another lid and so forth. by the time the 2nd pit was done she was fine going in and out of the lid holes and she has been in the pit as a willing participant on several hunts this hear.

Last edited by sbarcewski on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 AM; edited 1 time in total
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbarcewski wrote:
    skipped reading the part you were having trouble getting him in there. Worked with DogDoc and his new pup when we were trimming out pit this year and his Yellow was a little shy of the pit. without the lids on we got here in several times and helped her out. One of us would stay and the other leave then once she was in and out of the open pit we put 1 lid on. same routine then another lids and so forth. by the time the 2nd pit was done she was fine going in and out of the lid holes and she has been in the pit as a willing participant on several hunts this hear.

I do the exact same thing as Scott. Take the hound out at the beginning of season when doing pits, practice a bit, a few treat and after a few times the generally figure it out. If not, jut more reps, soft voices.

if you make it a snatch and grab jib by calling them over and then dragging them in it will take longer to get them used to it.

Don't trust whitey.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Goose Hunting All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: