ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Random ďwhat ifĒ scenario

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The ClubHouse
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:55 PM    Post subject: Random ďwhat ifĒ scenario Reply with quote

This came up over beers with buddies recently and boy did we blather on for a while without an answer. Also, we did zero research.

Scenario: a bird or 6 fly in 5 minutes before the end of LST. Blam blam. Bird drops. By the time you get to the bird itís after legal and that sucker is head up and flapping/swimming/diving, etc. and it needs another plunk to finish it off.

Is it legal?

I argued yes. Iíd had beers. Seems like it should be, but if Green Jeans is hanging around, hears the late shot, and meets you at the truck as you walk up with a very warm and still bleeding bird, is your story gonna matter or are you hosed?
    COLOH2OFWLR
    Master Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:21 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

This exact scenario happened to me on the Poudre about 20 years ago. Jump shot a duck and it dropped in some cattails. Looked all over trying to find it. About 2 minutes after LSH, I stumbled on it in some really nasty cattails with a deep channel running through them. Blasted it with one shot. When we got to the truck, a State Game Warden pulls up and performs a routine check. After everything checked out, a Federal Warden pulled in, got out of his truck, and without speaking to the state guy, he says, "Who fired the late shot?" I replied that I had, and that it was to finish off a cripple that I had been searching for. He nodded to my partner and said, "You're the only one I could see, and your gun wasn't up...is that what happened?" My partner answered the question and the warden immediately looked at me and asked for the duck. After checking the duck and finding a broken wing and only half a head, he dropped it on the ground and drilled me about the circumstances surrounding the after-hours shot by presenting several scenarios of what happened...none of which were anywhere near what had occurred. I answered his questions, corrected his mistaken statements and stuck to my story. Finally, he pulled the state warden off to the side and quietly spoke with him. After a few minutes, he kicked the duck towards me and says, "I'm not gonna say you're lying, because I didn't see the shot. But I am saying, I don't believe you." He then turned to the state guy, mumbled something under his breath, walked to his truck, and left. The state guy reminded us that legal shooting hours ended at sunset, looked at me and asked if I was certain that was what happened. After I agreed that it was indeed what had happened, he says, something about not making a habit of it, thanked us for our time, and then he left as well. This may not answer your question as to the legality of the shot, but I guarantee, that I will NEVER again take a shot after hours for ANY reason!
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:50 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy chit! I wasnít expecting such a quick reply from someone who actually experienced that! Wow. Great story! Youíre last line said it all...when in doubt, donít.

I get it from both perspectives. Iím also biased to the hunterís side. If I down a bird itís my responsibility to find and bag that sucker and if that means a dispatch shot, then I would want to be able to do so legally.

Glad you did the right thing to harvest the bird and despite the attitude from The Man, glad you didnít get pinched.

Very interdasting situation!
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry's story pretty much sums it up, it just depends on the warden but the law is written in black and white and they can write you for it.

Last edited by prairie goose on Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:51 PM; edited 1 time in total
    luckydog
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:47 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will depend on the game warden. There are a lot great game wardens in Colorado that care about good ethical hunters and they want the best for hunting in general. But there are a VERY FEW bad game wardens that just want to be the biggest pricks that they can be. The good thing is, almost every game warden I have met in Colorado has been really great. But the couple of DICKHEADS that I met have made me very cautious of the rest.

A .380 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your truck.
    Nicapopolis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very good relationship with the warden in the area we mostly hunt. I would first call him and if he didnt answer I would send him a text.

I am not sure I would knowingly leave a crippled bird if I had the opportunity to dispatch.
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:49 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicapopolis wrote:
    I have a very good relationship with the warden in the area we mostly hunt. I would first call him and if he didnt answer I would send him a text.

I am not sure I would knowingly leave a crippled bird if I had the opportunity to dispatch.

Such a very good point with regard to establishing relationships. I never skirt our laws. Every time Iíve been checked I got an A+ and thanked the guy/gal for being out there checking. That kind of communication would probably stand the test if challenged by another officer. Iíve hunted for 46 years and this situation has never happened to me, but itís a situation to be prepared for, just in case. The last 15 mins of legal can get crazy.
    Luv2Decoy
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:07 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story, glad it worked out for you.

That is why I spring snow goose hunt, we get 30 mins after sundown. If it is cloudy it is real dark, practically need a spot light to water swat them.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The ClubHouse All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: