ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Decoy mod: swim in the current

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The Workshop
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    scrapwood
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:10 PM    Post subject: Decoy mod: swim in the current Reply with quote

I haven't tried this myself, just came across it. Sounds like an easy mod and thought someone might find the info useful.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2009/09/how-improve-your-decoys
    JaDub
    Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:20 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works like a champ. Decoys are always on the move.
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:35 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaDub wrote:
    Works like a champ. Decoys are always on the move.

X2

Been meaning to revisit this post. Thank you, scraps! I'd never heard about this nor thought it up on my own. As soon as I read your post way back when I immediately went in the shop and rigged 6 dekes with this system. They work great!!! Takes away that artificial wake and damn near looks like they're on a jerk string. If you put those dekes on the riffle of an eddy edge, they freaking swim and swim! Had a guy "kill" my favorite wigeon feeder at an SWA not too long ago because of it. I went back to the truck for some grub and hear "BLAM BLAM" and this dipshit sneaked my dekes and water swatted my fave cause it looked that good. No lie!

And they up the game on open water, too. If there is even a minimal breeze, they swim and it keeps the dekes from all facing the same direction. I've found it adds to snags in the deke bag a little but it's worth it. I've considered going with this setup for 90% of my dekes, saving the other 10% for sandbar or ice sitters. Works great!!
    scrapwood
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:59 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get around to doing it this season. But after reading the posts above, it is now on my list off-season project list.
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use TX rigs and the one thing I learned is not to put the mid-body Fence nail in too far. I put a few in too deep and it hung up the slide a bit. 1/4" of gap is about right.
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:54 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled on a youtube for this method that eliminates the need to sink fence nails entirely. Just wrap the string/chord in a half-hitch about a 1/3 back from the front or butt. super easy. Super simple. No need to over do it.

Sorta unrelated, but not really, also learned a simple string/chord wrap for jerk strings that makes those babies spin 180s and makes great ripples.
    scrapwood
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:30 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing the half-hitch thing with mixed results. One plus is you can make the deke face down-current with the line coming off the back. Making half-hitches with decoy line in cold temps with thick gloves is kind of a pain, at least for me. I've also had the hitches come loose. It works for the most part, though, which is why I haven't tried the fence-staple mod yet.
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:33 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just refreshing this topic since it's the split for ducks and all and a great time for projects.

I've been hunting a small pond and (when it's not frozen) and there is even the slightest breeze, this system makes the decoys look great. They don't all pivot in unison like a pool-jazzercise class. They mill around.

I'm a decent caller, but the birds that have wanted in there wanted in there without needing to call most of the time. If they start a third pass a few chucks and chuckles seals the deal.

Just saying. Thanks again, scrapwood.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: