ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    New guy looking for advice - Cortez area

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Western Slope Hunters
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    PrairieHunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:41 PM    Post subject: New guy looking for advice - Cortez area Reply with quote

Greetings, gents. Just setting up an abode east of Cortez, looking for input on reputable guides or outfitters in the area so I can get in a few hunts (and get a little guidance) as I learn the ropes.

Been hunting the coastal prairie west of Houston for 20+ years, geese and ducks. The geese are mostly snows and specks with a few lesser Canadas from time to time. Killing a greater is on my bucket list.

Any suggestions as to folks to contact for early or main season hunts would be much appreciated.
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:32 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to CO and hope you get a cool place to call home in Cortez. There used to be a couple of guides out of Grand Jct that posted up on here once in a while but I don't think they ran as far as Cortez. Could be fairly slim pickings over there for waterfowl guides, but I'd guess you won't have too much competition/pressure inthe area.

Don't trust whitey.
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:43 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local sporting goods in that area may be able to give you some info about places to go ETC.
    Someone from that side of town will jump on here and get you going in the right direction.
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thgought would be to call a few of the big game guides over there and see if they know of anyone that guides or at least hunts waterfowl?

Don't trust whitey.
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:57 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yea !!! that is even a better idea. Good thought Greg drink
    PrairieHunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:29 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the pointers, guys. I figured the pickings would be a little slim there on the edge of the desert, but I've seen geese at my place just north of Mesa Verde so I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.
    sbarcewski
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:53 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are decent bodies of water down there in that corner of the state that hod birds. Been awhile since I have chased waterfowl down there but access was decent especially when people found out you did not want to get on the land to chase elk and deer. Check out some of the moving water for Ducks as well as geese. New Mexico has some good opportunities as well and is worth picking up an non-resident tag too.

Scott
    swduckhunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Cortez and theres really no one close, we kind of just learn to hunt here. I've learned from a friend. Need anything dm me.

"When blizzards and storm winds strike, other hunters curl up by the hearth. Waterfowlers go forth."-Zack Taylor
    Luv2Decoy
    Master Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have the hunts been????

I shot a Canada that was banded near Cortez, so there are probably more than a few honkers down that way.
    swduckhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:03 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week was the best so far we had a big arctic duck push. The geese have been coming into. Were getting the best hunting weather so far lately, this week should be pretty good. cheers

"When blizzards and storm winds strike, other hunters curl up by the hearth. Waterfowlers go forth."-Zack Taylor
    ZaKWright

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:13 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Cortez too I'm that buddy that swduckhunter has learned from, the waterfowl hunting is really up and down around here but we actually get a lot of Arctic duck pushes later in the season, don't see many other duck / goose hunters around here. Have you gotten out hunting much since you moved here? Oh and welcome to the Cortez area! cheers
    ~Sometimes I wonder why my sanity is questioned as a duck hunter. Then I find myself awake at 4:00 A.M., going out in the worst possible weather, because the hunting is better.~
    PrairieHunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:33 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZaKWright wrote:
    I live in Cortez too I'm that buddy that swduckhunter has learned from, the waterfowl hunting is really up and down around here but we actually get a lot of Arctic duck pushes later in the season, don't see many other duck / goose hunters around here. Have you gotten out hunting much since you moved here? Oh and welcome to the Cortez area! cheers

I haven't hunted there yet, and it'll actually be a while before I move there full time. The house is in place, the retirement is not.

I've been totally immersed in hunting the prairie west of Houston for 20+ years, so I'm used to hunting massive (100+ acre) fields that have been laser-leveled to where they're as flat as pool tables, and I don't own a single decoy with a cord longer than 24". Most days, I can hunt in knee boots. I've hunted in short-sleeved shirts many, many times.

Obviously, things will be a little different in the Four Corners area. rotfl

Great input here, guys. I really appreciate it. cheers
    ZaKWright

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:05 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha yes hunting is much different here! rotfl a good investment around here is a pair of chest waiters, and some warm clothes! I'm hoping the hunting is pretty good this weekend there is a huge storm front pushing over here! If you ever need something you can talk to me or swduckhunter, I don't know of any other duck hunters from around here that are on this page. What kinda gun do you shoot?
    ~Sometimes I wonder why my sanity is questioned as a duck hunter. Then I find myself awake at 4:00 A.M., going out in the worst possible weather, because the hunting is better.~
    PrairieHunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:51 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

How was the hunting this weekend? Did the front bring in new birds? I was watching the snow on the radar, hoping you guys were seeing some new birds...

I have neoprene chest waders, but I rarely use them here because they're usually too warm. They should serve me well up there.

If I'm hunting ducks, I shoot a Winchester Super-X2. First round I ever fired with it took down a greenhead. Its mojo is strong with me.

If I'm hunting geese, I shoot a Remington SP-10. It'll really reach out & touch 'em!
    ZaKWright

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrairieHunter wrote:
    How was the hunting this weekend? Did the front bring in new birds? I was watching the snow on the radar, hoping you guys were seeing some new birds...

I have neoprene chest waders, but I rarely use them here because they're usually too warm. They should serve me well up there.

If I'm hunting ducks, I shoot a Winchester Super-X2. First round I ever fired with it took down a greenhead. Its mojo is strong with me.

If I'm hunting geese, I shoot a Remington SP-10. It'll really reach out & touch 'em!

I wasn't able to get out this weekend. swduckhunter got a couple green wing drakes in an hour this weekend though, I saw lots of Goldeneyes and geese
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Western Slope Hunters All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: