ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Cold weather boots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Product Reviews
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:49 PM    Post subject: Cold weather boots Reply with quote

Hoping someone can give me some sort of reference for insulation rating. I'm looking for some cold weather boots for both goose hunting and 4th season rifle. Problem I have is not sure how much insulation to get. My only reference is my 1600gr hunting waders.

Does anyone have any experience with both? Does the wader number transfer over pretty well to boots?
    BNC04
    Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:17 PM    Post subject: Boots Reply with quote

Not much help on the ratings but I believe those are subjective in most cases

Alot will depend on how you hunt each species-

For a pit and goose hunting, I really like my Muck boots in Artic pro. They are rated to -60 and unless it's really warm out, I dont get overly hot in them during the setup. They are awesome when in the pit and cleaning them up is a breeze but I would not want to wear them on an elk hunt if your going to be walking in any type of rugged terrain.
    For that you might look into one of the many styles of sorrels. I have a pair that are not as bulky as the regular tan model but the name escapes me at the moment. They are not very high up the calf so probably 10inch of snow would be the max I'd want to try hunting in without gaiters.

Brett
    MRiddell
    Master Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:24 PM    Post subject: Re: Cold weather boots Reply with quote

bldmtnrider wrote:
    I'm looking for some cold weather boots for both goose hunting and 4th season rifle.

Good luck finding a pair that works well for both. Kinda like trying to find a good-looking woman that don't talk much. rotfl The boots that hike well will probably suck in the pit and the boots that keep you warm enough are probably going to suck to hike in.

If you do find a pair that works for both, buy 2 pair cause someone will figure out a way to screw em up by the time the first pair wears out.
    kol1293

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:17 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Higher grain for colder temps.
    Ol Blu
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:49 PM    Post subject: Outfitter series Reply with quote

Funny timing, just now looking to replace my 12 year old boots.

Cabelas Outfitter 400gm 12 inch. Yea, been cold in a -5 pit, and hot chasing spring turkey, but they have served me well. Lotta miles for sure, and a pair of hot toes goes a long way.

zcudu
    Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:14 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of the cabelas outfitters as well, but in 800 gram insulation. I use them in the goose pit and just used them for 1st season elk (lots of mud, snow and creek crossings). Sometimes they are a little cold in the goose pit and can be a little bit heavy for lots of hiking, but I like them.
    tbvet3
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:52 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things I do for cold toes in the pits.

First is to bring an extra pair of socks. After setting up I change my socks. Air dry the tootsies and put the fresh, albeit cold, socks on. They'll warm up quick enough. Have been known to change my upper base layer too on occasion.

After changing socks don't I don't tie my boots any more than to keep from tripping on the laces. Boots tight enough for hiking support cut off circulation to the feet if you're just standing around. Reduced blood flow to the feet means cold little piggies. Leave 'em loose.
    Sunny Day
    Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:02 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought those thermacell remote control foot warmers and they go in my ridge reaper under armour boots with 800g insulation of primaloft insulation designed to stay warm once you get your feet warm. they work pretty well together. tbvet3 has a good point on circulation no blood flow no = no feeling in your toes. don't go too high in insulation grams reason is, is you may get too hot and start to get wet feet.

TWIN PEAKS TAXIDERMY
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:16 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also vote for Cabalas outfitters. I am on my third pair and like the 800 or 1000gm. The 1000 are pretty warm in the pit and I have never had any issues with hot feet when elk Hunting or the long hike from truck to camp.
    I do prefer Cabalas Comfort trac rubber boots in 1.200gr for the pit. Easy to get on off and really warm.
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:34 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunny Day wrote:
    no blood flow no = no feeling in your toes. don't go too high in insulation grams reason is, is you may get too hot and start to get wet feet.

That is my main concern. Not sure what the weather is going to be like up there but we'll probably be hunting in the 7-8K range with less than a foot of snow on the ground. I can keep my feet warm in standard hiking boots down to about 5-10, but as soon as I stop moving, they start getting cold. Too warm of a boot, feet get wet and get cold regardless of hiking or sitting.

I'll probably head out this week and try to find something in the 800-1K range. If they don't work for goose hunting I can stick with my sorrels.
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:51 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the 800 range to be perfect for what you are talking about. Fairly cool while hiking. Pretty warm while sitting. If your feet get cold move up hill a few hundred yards and your feet feel great again.
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. Ended up with some 800s and they were spot on. Coldest/snowiest weather I have ever hunted and never got cold.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Product Reviews All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: