ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Floater rigging for CWA properties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Decoying
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    willfam3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:02 PM    Post subject: Floater rigging for CWA properties Reply with quote

My hunting over decoys is pretty limited to field hunting. Now that I have joined CWA I'm going to pick up some floaters, I'm thinking 1 doz, goose, 1 doz mallard and a doz early season teal (which I have never hunted before).

I'm pretty much set on rigging the decks with J weights, bungee straps and tangle free line with swivel clips on the end. Given the various CWA properties, any suggestions on weight and length of the rigging. Is an 8oz weight and 12' line about right for the goose deeks? Anyone have any recommendations for the ducks or suggestions to do it differently?

Thanks,

Mike
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:09 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

12 feet of line is more than double what you need. i rig with 4 feet.

Don't trust whitey.
    willfam3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:46 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. So on the weights go 8oz for Goose and would 4oz work for ducks?
    spaightlabs1
    True Killa'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll work fine.

Don't trust whitey.
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:58 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd run clear line if you can find it. The season around here for open water is pretty short and you'll end up with black decoy line in 6" of water on the river. I rig at full arm span (6').

Personally, I'd save yourself some cash and skip the goose floaters if you haven't already bought them. I bought a dozen and never shot a goose over them in 8 years. They might have helped as confidence decoys for duck, but I unloaded them last year to make room for more full bodies. By the time full goose season hit the flat water is starting to freeze and I've had better luck with shells and full bodies on the river.

If it were me, I'd probably put the goose floater money towards duck, get a dozen standard mallard, a half dozen "eclipsed mallard", and a half dozen teal.

As far as teal decoys go, maybe other guys here have different opinions, but I run 5 teal floaters (the 6th is sitting at the bottom of a CWA lake since my hunting partner didn't bother to tell me he is borderline blind at first light). The teal floaters work good in rivers too as the shorter keels give decent motion.

Since you are new to the club and already know that there is limited water property, understand that water reservations are gone within the first few minutes of reservation. Don't invest too much money expecting to hit ducks every weekend.
    willfam3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:00 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points. I was going to get early season teal deeks but picking up 6 early mallards is a good idea. It was damn hot today so we stayed inside and rigged the 12 floaters we already have and set up the rigging for the others to come.

Thanks,

Mike
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Decoying All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: