ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index
  • USAWaterfowl.com

• COWF Site

• Field Staff Articles

• Please support our sponsors

ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
     ProfileChat RoomFAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
    Dakota Bases

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Decoying
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    willfam3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:41 AM    Post subject: Dakota Bases Reply with quote

Looking for input on how anyone stores their bases for Dakota's. I have a small trailer and I'm kinda anal about organizing the deeks, so I bag them. I have been putting the bases in Rubbermaid totes, but that is less than ideal and I'm running out of space at 5 dz. Anyone doing anything else to store the bases in the trailer?

Thanks,

Mike
    shootemup
    Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:28 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigger Trailer should do the trick
    money pit
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:13 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootemup wrote:
    Bigger Trailer should do the trick

rotfl rotfl

It's funny cuz its true Shocked
    scrapwood
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:00 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assume we're talking about goose decoys here (not duck).

When I had Dakota goose decoys I used their bags. I left the bases on. They fit in the slots with the bases on.

Are you using Dakota bags? If so, have you tried leaving the bases on?
    JDK
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:49 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dakota bags I have have the base slots built in. The flaps to "secure" them haven't been so hot, so I added a few velcro straps, which helped. Other than that, they've worked okay. Only problem is there sure isn't very much blood or feathers stuck to 'em, but that's not Dakota's fault!
    willfam3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:19 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

Goose deeks and can't get a bigger trailer until I can get rid of my Jeep and get a truck. I'm running with Rogers Mid Sized 12 slot bags because I'm too cheap to get the Dakota bags. Anyone else doing anything different?

Mike
    wyofowler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:24 AM    Post subject: Dakota's Reply with quote

Have you thought about storing them with the bases on and not bagged?
    willfam3
    Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:21 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that with my first set and dinged up the flocking on the heads pretty good. So I'm a little gun shy on going that route and my anal sense of organization. Roger's has the Dakota bags on sale for $40 each, so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a dozen bags, instead of a couple dozen decoys...
    oneshot
    Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:26 AM    Post subject: Storing Reply with quote

A little flat black spray paint makes them look new again after season
    prairie goose
    Elite Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:25 AM    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is mostly in what makes you feel good I ran 20 dozen un flocked big feet for a couple decades and put lots of birds in the dirt with them. I now run lots of new decoys that are bagged and shoot less Geese then I used to and spend a lot more time putting out and picking up the decoys. The heads are still getting banged up in bags.
    I believe at the end of the hunt it is more about conditions that day, calling and set up of those decoys then the small details. If they can see a ding in the head that bird has bigger problems.
    I do not hunt close to the days that I used too. And would bet if I got the other 10 dozen Big feet out of the grain silo and put in a few more days hunting instead of messing around with this flocked, bagged stuff that I would return to those numbers. cheers
    bldmtnrider
    Pro Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:03 PM    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 15 dz Avery ring bases which I think are pretty similar to Dakota and I just stack them in piles of 12 to 18 and shove them up against the edge of the trailer. But I also haven't pulled the ring bases out in a few years.

The trick is to NOT use the bases and use field stakes. Buy yourself a cheap hammer drill and a long 3/8" concrete bit. Takes maybe 3 more seconds a stake but you'll save that on pickup and attempting to re-organize your trailer. Keep a few ring bases in your trailer to cover up the pit.

And don't get too hung up on the flocking. Hard thing to do when you've just spent that much money but it really doesn't matter much. After a few years your flocking will start fading and take on a reddish color so you'll find yourself re-flocking anyway.
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    ColoradoWaterfowl Forum Index -> Decoying All times are GMT
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: